Portia assists counties, cities, towns, redevelopment commissions and other special taxing districts to finance public buildings, infrastructure and other local public improvements through the issuance of tax-exempt and taxable bonds. Additionally, she assists businesses with respect to state and local government incentives for economic development projects. Such incentives have included economic development income tax revenue bonds, tax increment finance bonds and tax abatements along with other alternative forms of financing.
Portia’s experience includes working for the City of Fishers, Indiana, as a project manager for downtown redevelopment projects in the Nickel Plate District. She was also an associate at Barnes and Thornburg in their Government Practice.
Portia has a J.D. from Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, and graduated summa cum laude. She was an articles editor of the Indiana Health Law Review and a student member of the Indianapolis American Inn of Court, 2017. While an undergraduate, she interned with the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Energy and Commerce in Washington, D.C., and was a varsity letter winner on Indiana University’s women’s track and field team.
Bar Admissions and Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Board of Directors, Indianapolis City Market Board of Directors
- Board of Directors, Massachusetts Avenue Community Development Corporation
- Board of Directors, Catch the Stars Foundation
- Selection Committee, Lilly Endowment Scholarship
- Volunteer, Down But Not Out Communications
- Mentor, Star Fish Initiative