- University of Wisconsin Law School J.D., 1992
Honors: Dean’s list
- University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee B.A., 1988
Honors: Summa cum laude
- Attended: University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 1983-1984, 1985-1987; University of Essex, Colchester, England 1984-85
Melissa J. De Groff, Partner
Melissa De Groff ‘s practice focuses on representing financial institutions in commercial lending transactions, commercial workouts and foreclosures, and real estate transactions. She also represents secured and trade creditors in bankruptcy proceedings as a member of the firm’s Bankruptcy/Creditor’s Rights and Commercial Transactions groups Bankruptcy and Creditors Rights.
She believes customer service is key to the attorney-client relationship, and her clients appreciate her availability, her quick response to questions and concerns, and her dedication to solving their problems.
Clients benefit from her broad-based experience as an assistant attorney general for the State of Washington (prosecuting crimes in nursing homes, representing social workers in child dependency proceedings, and advocating for state agencies in bankruptcy proceedings), as an appellate public defender, and as a judicial law clerk in the busiest division of the Washington Court of Appeals.
In the broader community, De Groff participates in organizations that benefit young people and dogs, and she volunteers her legal expertise through Indianapolis Bar Association-sponsored activities. She is an avid reader, enthusiastic fly fisher, organic gardener and dog lover.
- Obtained a $6.2 million summary judgment for secured creditor in companion commercial foreclosure suits.
- Negotiated multiple settlements for regional bank via agreed judgments of foreclosure, resulting in reduced litigation expenses and mid-six figure recovery following sale of multiple commercial parcels.
- Documented commercial loan sales aggregating $21 million, $9.5 million and $6.5 million for a regional bank.
- Represented post-petition lender to debtor-in-possession in successful Chapter 11 restructuring of a large dairy farm.
- Negotiated commercial real estate and operating loans to the purchaser of commercial real estate and business as a going concern for a regional bank.
- Negotiated and documented multiple management agreements and commercial loans on behalf of an angel investor in a commercial dairy farm.
- Negotiated fair treatment of minority participant in multi-lender workout of more than $100 million commercial real estate loan for regional
- Negotiated and documented sale of multiple REOs for a regional bank.
- Indianapolis Bar Association (Commercial & Bankruptcy section)
Indianapolis Bar Foundation, Grants Committee member (2005-2007)
- Indiana Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Nora Northside Community Council https://noracouncil.org/ board of directors (2018-)
- Paws and Think, Inc., President (2007-2008), Board member (2006-2010)
- Indianapolis Bar Association, Pro Bono Standing Committee Chair, 2016-2018; Volunteer: Ask a Lawyer, Bankruptcy hotline
- United Way Day of Caring, Volunteer
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Indiana
- Marion County Election Inspector
- United States District Court, Southern District of Indiana, Eastern and Western Districts of Washington, and Western District of Wisconsin;
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern and Northern Districts of Indiana, and Eastern and Western Districts of Washington;
- Indiana Supreme Court