- Indiana University School of Law – Indianapolis (J.D., 2005)
Honors: Summa Cum Laude
- Articles Editor of the Indiana Law Review
- Illinois Wesleyan University (B.A. in Economics and Public Accounting, 2002)
Honors: With Honors
Justin W. Leverton, Associate
Justin Leverton is a lawyer with Kroger, Gardis & Regas, LLP where he represents clients in a wide range of complex business transactions, real estate, corporate finance, and litigation. Mr. Leverton has an extensive background (both transactionally and as a litigator) in commercial and residential real estate, corporate/business law, leasing, commercial lending, oil & gas rights, and environmental law and uses this background to assist his current practice. His corporate experience encompasses everything from day-to-day operations to major milestones such as the buying and selling of businesses. Mr. Leverton enjoys representing clients with novel legal issues and has assisted in several nationally prominent cases such as the 9/11 victims’ recovery suits against terrorist-sponsoring countries. He also has significant state and federal appellate court experience.
Mr. Leverton strongly believes in community outreach and is involved in several non-profit organizations. He is the past President of the SERTOMA Club of Indianapolis, an organization that raises money to support those with hearing and speech disabilities throughout the United States. Mr. Leverton is a board member of the Woodruff Place Economic Improvement District and a volunteer for the Woodruff Place Foundation, his neighborhood organization that seeks to preserve and protect the Victorian homes of one of our nation’s first suburb, Woodruff Place. Mr. Leverton spends his free time with his friends and family and enjoys traveling, gourmet cooking, and the occasional surf trip.
Professional Experience – Transactions
- Represented owners in sale of a $500 million software company
- Negotiated and drafted numerous loan agreements and loan documents on behalf of lenders and borrowers
- Assisted new businesses with venture capital finance
- Regulatory compliance and governance issues with corporate clients
- Represented client in front of Indiana Securities Commission for alleged blue sky law violation
- Supervised comprehensive due diligence review in $9 million non-ferrous foundry acquisition
- Formed public transport company for client to lessen state sales tax impact
Professional Experience – Real Estate
Mr. Leverton has extensive expertise in substantially all aspects of commercial & residential real estate and real estate finance and over time has represented each of the many parties in a wide array of transactions. His transactions and clients include:
- Commercial Mortgage and Real-Estate Company Financings and Workouts. Borrowers, lenders and investors in the origination, modification, enforcement and workout of conventional commercial mortgage loans and revolving credit facilities.
- Distressed Situations. Purchasers and sellers of distressed properties
- Joint Ventures. Developers and investors in joint venture transactions to develop, redevelop, operate and/or finance office, hotel and other commercial properties.
- Sale/Leasing Transactions. Buyers, Sellers, Lessors, and Tenants in the purchase, sale, and leasing of commercial buildings, multi-family residential, and single family residential.
Professional Experience – Litigation
- Pflanz v. Foster, 888. N.E.2d 756 (Ind. 2008) – (Indiana Supreme Court case agreeing with Mr. Leverton’s position regarding the application of Indiana’s statute of limitations on Underground Storage Tank litigation).
- Stickdorn v. Zook, No. 89A01-1012-CT-670 (Ind. App. 2011) (Indiana Court of Appeals agreeing with Mr. Leverton’s position regarding the application of Indiana’s statute of limitations on reoccurring, temporary environmental nuisances).
- Kozlowski v. Kozlowski, NO. 1:10-cv-01538-MJD-RLY (S.D. Ind. 09/16/2011) (Novel claim of tortious interference with inheritance is recognized under Indiana law and survives dispositive motion).
- Assisted the 9/11 victims in their recovery suits against terrorist-sponsoring countries.
- Conducted multiple civil jury trials with significant experience in voir dire, direct and cross examination, opening and closing arguments.
- Extensive exposure and involvement in depositions of fact witnesses, expert witnesses, and 30(b)(6) designated corporate witnesses.
- Initiated a class action lawsuit against a major insurance company in the US District Court for the Southern District of Indiana for violations of the Indiana Salvage Title Act and Indiana Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations act.
- Litigated against a major life insurance company for abusive I.R.C. 412(i) and 419 tax shelters (abusive defined benefit plans).
Honors and Awards
- 2011 AAJ Student Trial Advocacy Competition Regional Coordinator (oversaw 16 teams from 10 Midwest law schools compete in a 3-day moot court competition). Serves as a board member of the AAJ law school subcommittee.
- 2011 AAJ Advanced Deposition College Graduate (New Orleans, LA)
- National Attorneys’ Title Assurance Fund Award (2003)
- Counsel to the Chairman of the Indiana State Bar Association Young Lawyers Division (2012-2013)
- 2012 Superlawyers Rising Star
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Indiana 2005
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana (2005)
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana (2005)
- “Data Security Breaches a Growing Concern Among Businesses” Inside Indiana, Fall 2008
- Avoiding Removal under the Class Action Fairness Act, Indiana Lawyer, October 2006
- “Bubble Mania,” stock market research paper published in The Park Place Economist