Gregory P. Cafouros, Partner
The primary focuses of Mr. Cafouros’ construction law practice are design professional liability, construction law and general liability litigation. He is both a practicing lawyer and registered civil engineer, and specializes in the representation of architects, engineers, contractors, owners and insurers in all aspects of construction law, including contract and defect claims, risk management, contract analysis and advice, and mechanics lien law. He also represents numerous private and public entities in tort liability claims. In addition, Mr. Cafouros serves as practice group leader for the design and construction team of attorneys at Kroger Gardis & Regas LLP. Mr. Cafouros often coordinates the activities of owners and their engineers to develop innovative and cost-effective solutions to construction problems and environmental disputes.
In the environmental arena, he defends environmental enforcement actions, prosecutes and defends toxic tort claims, assists industries and municipalities in environmental permitting, and mediates a broad range of environmental disputes. Mr. Cafouros has been an active participant in environmental efforts through the Indianapolis Parks Foundation, which he serves as general counsel, and the Eagle Creek Park Foundation, of which he is a director emeritus and former board president.
- VanNorman, et. al. v. Flexsteel Industries, Inc., et. al., Cause No. 20D02-1106-PL-00037; Knoll, et. al. v. Flexsteel Industries, Inc., et. al., Cause No. 3:11-cv-480-JD-CAN; McAtee v. Flexsteel Industries, Inc., et. al., Cause No. 2-C01-1311-CT-211. Defense of potentially responsible party in CERCLA, RCRA and RICO actions in State and Federal Court (2013).
- Indianapolis-Marion County Public Library v. Thornton Tomasetti Engineers, et al., Cause No. 06S05-0907-CV-332 (Ind. 2010). Defense of engineering firm in claim for negligent inspection of parking garage construction at Indianapolis’ Central Library.
- Evansville Greenway and Remediation Trust v. SIGECO and Evansville Greenway PRP Group, et al, Cause No. 3:07-cv-66-SEB-WGH (S.D. Ind. 2007). Defense of PRP Group under CERCLA and ELA for the recovery of cleanup costs at two contaminated sites at City’s Greenway development along the Ohio River.
- Piasa Commercial Interiors, Inc. v J.P. Murray Co and Patriot Engineering and Environmental Inc., Cause No. 07-617-DRH. (S.D. Ill. 2007) Defense of construction claims against engineering firm based on economic loss rule.
- Allgood v. General Motors Corp., Cause No. 102-CV-1077-DFH/TAB. (S.D. Ind. 2005) Represented multiple plaintiff homeowners against GM for damages arising from PCB contamination of their property along Bailey’s Branch in Bedford, Indiana.
- City of Indianapolis v Union Carbide Corp., et al., Cause No. 1:02-CV-1340-LJM-WTL (S.D. Ind. 2003). Defense of PRP for past and future response costs under CERCLA and ELA for disposal of asbestos on City property near Pogus Run Creek.
- Meyer, et al v. Shell Oil Co and Union Oil Co. No. 79S04-9801-CV-043 (Ind. 1999) Defense of Union Oil Co. (Unocal) by homeowners’ claim for cleanup of contamination from former gasoline station, personal injuries and medical monitoring.
- RSR Corp v Avanti Development, et al. (S.D. Ind. 1999) Defense of battery recycler under CERCLA and ELA for recovery of cleanup costs at lead recycling facility under Superfund Recycling Equity Act.
Honors and Awards
- Fellowship for the Study of Law, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- President’s Award, American Council of Engineering Companies, 2008
- American Council of Engineering Companies
- Indianapolis Parks Foundation
- Eagle Creek Park Foundation
- St. Christopher Catholic Church
- St Thomas More Society
- Indiana, 1978
- U.S. Federal Court, 1978