- Indiana University at Bloomington School of Law, Bloomington, Indiana, 1964 J.D.
Law Journal: Indiana University Law Journal, Member, 1963 – 1964
- Purdue University, 1961 B.S.
Honors: Pi Tau Sigma
Major: Mechanical Engineering
Sydney L. Steele, Senior Counsel / Partner
Mr. Steele focuses his law practice on civil litigation, with a particular emphasis on construction, corporate, business and related areas of the law, and has attained the highest “AV” rated attorney by his attorney peers. He was also recently designated a distinguished attorney fellow by the Indianapolis Bar Foundation.
Mr. Steele graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from Purdue University, and with a Doctor of Jurisprudence from Indiana University School of Law, Bloomington, Indiana.
Mr. Steele is licensed to practice law in all the state courts in Indiana, including the Indiana Court of Appeals and the Indiana Supreme Court. He is also licensed to practice in the United States District Courts for the Southern and Northern Districts of Indiana, the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court. He is also certified Neutral with the American Arbitration Association and has mediated numerous construction law disputes. For more than 40 years, Mr. Steele has appeared before state and federal courts throughout Indiana as well other states, and has developed a special knowledge in the fields of complex construction, business and commercial litigation, mediations and arbitrations. He currently serves as general counsel for the National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners.
Mr. Steele is also active in his community outside of the practice of law. He served as President and a member of the Board of Directors of the Columbia Club, where he is now its General Counsel. He is also a member of the Board of Directors of the Center for Leadership Development, an organization founded by, Henry Bundles, to encourage and prepare minority youths for college, leadership and excellence. Mr. Steele was recently awarded the “Henry Bundles Leadership Award” for his services to CLD.
In 1982, Mr. Steele co-founded the Indianapolis Law Club, an association of experienced litigation attorneys who meet regularly to stay current on developing law, evidence and procedures.
Mr. Steele was also President of Big Brothers of Central Indiana and member of its Board. He served on Mayor Richard Lugar’s Task Force on Black Capitalism. He is a member of the American Bar Association, including the Litigation Section and Construction Law Forum, the Indiana State Bar Association, including the Litigation and Construction & Surety Law Sections, and the Indianapolis Bar Association. For more than 40 years, Mr. Steele has appeared before state and federal courts throughout Indiana as well other states, and has developed a special knowledge in the fields of complex construction, business and commercial litigation, mediations and arbitrations.
- Indiana, 1964
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana, 1969
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1983
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1982
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Indianapolis Bar Association, Construction and Surety Section
- Indiana State Bar Association, Litigation and Construction Law Sections
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section; Construction Law Forum
- Indianapolis Law Club, Founder
- Purdue University, President Senior Class
- Indiana University Schoolof Law, Student Bar Association, Past President
- Indiana Law School, Associate Editor
- Columbia Club, Past President, Board Member, General Counsel
- Big Brothers of Greater Indianapolis, Past President, Board Member
- Center for Leadership Development, Board Member
Past Employment Positions
- United States Army, Captain, 1964 – 1967
- Founder, Partner, Lowe, Gray, Steele and Darko, 1970 – 2003
- Delta Theta Phi
- Tau Tau Alpha, Purdue University