- University of Wisconsin Law School J.D., 1992
Honors: Dean’s list
- University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee B.A., 1988
Honors: Summa cum laude
- Attended: University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 1983-1984, 1985-1987; University of Essex, Colchester, England 1984-85
Melissa J. De Groff, Of Counsel
Melissa De Groff brings energy, experience and expertise to her practice of law.
She believes customer service is key to the attorney-client relationship. As part of this relationship-building process, De Groff counsels clients with the goal of avoiding litigation. Because of her availability, her quick response to questions and concerns, and her dedication to solving problems, De Groff often gains new clients through referrals.
Clients benefit from her broad-based experience as an assistant attorney general for the State of Washington, an appellate public defender and a judicial law clerk in the busiest division of the Washington Court of Appeals.
De Groff’s practice focuses on the representation of financial institutions in commercial lending transactions, commercial workouts and foreclosures, and real estate transactions. She also represents secured and trade creditors in bankruptcy proceedings as a member of the firm’s Bankruptcy/Creditor’s Rights and Commercial Transactions groups.
In the broader community, De Groff participates in organizations that benefit young people and dogs, and she volunteers her legal expertise through Indianapolis Bar Association-sponsored activities. She is an avid reader, organic gardener and dog lover, and is kind to small children.
- Obtained a $6.2 million summary judgment for secured creditor in companion commercial foreclosure suits.
- Negotiated multiple settlements for regional bank via agreed judgments of foreclosure, resulting in reduced litigation expenses and mid-six figure recovery following sale of multiple commercial parcels.
- Documented commercial loan sales aggregating $21 million, $9.5 million and $6.5 million for a regional bank.
- Represented post-petition lender to debtor-in-possession in successful Chapter 11 restructuring of a large dairy farm.
- Negotiated commercial real estate and operating loans to the purchaser of commercial real estate and business as a going concern for a regional bank.
- Negotiated and documented multiple management agreements and commercial loans on behalf of an angel investor in a commercial dairy farm.
- Negotiated fair treatment of minority participant in multi-lender workout of more than $100 million commercial real estate loan for regional bank.
- Negotiated and documented sale of multiple REOs for a regional bank.
- Indianapolis Bar Association (Commercial & Bankruptcy section)
Indianapolis Bar Foundation, Grants Committee member (2005-2007)
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Paws and Think, Inc., President (2007-2008), Board member (2006-2010)
- Indianapolis Bar Association, Volunteer: Ask a Lawyer, Bankruptcy hotline
- United Way Day of Caring, Volunteer
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Indiana
- Election Inspector
- United States District Court, Southern District of Indiana, Eastern and Western Districts of Washington, and Western District of Wisconsin;
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern and Northern Districts of Indiana, and Eastern and Western Districts of Washington;
- Indiana Supreme Court