Jay P. Kennedy, Partner
Jay P. Kennedy concentrates his practice in the areas of commercial litigation, creditors’ rights, agricultural law, secured transactions, commercial and CMBS foreclosure, and bankruptcy matters.
He represents secured creditors, agricultural creditors and creditors’ committees in transactions and proceedings throughout the United States. Mr. Kennedy is a frequent author on bankruptcy and commercial litigation matters.
Mr. Kennedy generally represents lenders in restructuring of secured obligations, state and federal court foreclosure of real and personal property assets, and recovery of collateral in bankruptcy proceedings. He also represents bankruptcy trustees and court appointed receivers, and both prosecutes and defends bankruptcy preference and other avoidance actions in Indiana and throughout the Midwest.
- ICLEF Bankruptcy Update, In Re Castleton Plaza LP: The Impact of the Seventh Circuit’s Decision on Single Asset Real Estate Reorganization Cases, December, 2013
- ICLEF Bankruptcy Update, Bankruptcy Ethics, December 2012
- ICLEF Bankruptcy Update, Agricultural DIP Lending and Secured Transactions, December, 2011
- Current Challenges in Local Government, May 2010
- Bankruptcy in Indiana, Lorman, 2005
- Bankruptcy in Indiana, Lorman, 2004
- Bankruptcy in Indiana, Lorman, 2003
- Business Law Institute Revised Article IX, ICLEF, 2002
- Revised Article IX – Default: Enforcement Remedies, ICLEF, 2000
- Bankruptcy Forum: “Bankruptcy Problems After Bankruptcy”, ICLEF, 1994
- Bankruptcy Forum: “Non-Dischargeable Judgments”, Indianapolis Bar Association, 1993
- “Advanced Collection Techniques”, NBI, 1993
- “Collection Law in Indiana”, Lorman, 1993
- “Collection Law in Indiana”, Lorman, 1991
- “Collection Law for Banking and Credit Service Companies”, Lorman, 1991
- “Exemption Planning – Pitfalls and Opportunities”, ICLEF, 1989
Representative Cases & Clients
- McEntire v. Indiana Nat. Bank, 471 N.E.2d 1216 (Ind. App. 4 Dist. 1984)
- Irwin Union Bank and Trust Co.
- Kova Fertilizer, Inc.
- Rabo AgriFinance, Inc.
- JPMorgan Chase Bank
- Indianapolis Bar Association – Member
- Indianapolis Bar Association, Sections for Commercial and Bankruptcy Practice – past Chairman
- Indiana State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Selected for inclusion in “Indiana Super Lawyers” 2009-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America -2014
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubble®
- Best Lawyers® – Banking and Finance Law
- President – Brebeuf Jesuit Dads Club (2007 – 2010)
- Board of Directors – The Orchard School (2002 – 2007)
- United Way of Greater Indianapolis – Appropriations Panels and Agency Governance Panels
- St. Luke’s United Methodist Church – School 20 Partnership Facilities Committee
- Child Advocates – CASA Volunteer
- Indiana, 1982
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana, 1982
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana, 1982
- U.S. Circuit Court Seventh Circuit, 1983
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1988